Sunday, January 6, 2008

We're finally here!


After our 17 hour flight, Rocio and I arrived at the airport in Asuncion where we were greeted by Brittnea (one of the team members) and Elena (one of the youth from the church). Brittnea is who we are living with and she is just as sweet as can be. Our apartment is in a really safe neighborhood (mom) and has a beautiful view of the city! It's so pretty and green here! After we stopped by the apartment to drop off our bags, we went up to the church for a devo with the youth. I forgot how much I love singing in Spanish. I think I love it because it reminds me that even though we have different languages and different cultures, we’re all the same because we’re all praising God and we’re all one family. The group was very welcoming and excited to have us there. After that we all went to Enoch’s house, another missionary, and grilled hamburgers and played games. Interesting fact- In Paraguay people don’t eat dinner until 9 or 10 at night, and they seem to be night owls…so I think I’ll fit right in. They are also obsessed with soccer. Here's Rocio and I in the kitchen with Brittnea and a group of the girls from church.


Although we just arrived yesterday evening, we left today with the team for a South American missions conference in Brazil. It should be an amazing experience, and I’ll tell you all about it when we return. We will be there for 6 days (until Saturday), and then we will come back and jump right into our roles as interns. We will know more or what we are doing once we’ve had time to talk this week with the team, but some of the things we understand we will be doing are: organizing a university group (as of now anyone below the age of 30 or so makes up the “youth”), reaching out and building relationships with people on college campuses, and doing activities to encourage the youth and university students. We will also be having Bible studies for people that are interested, and possibly working with an orphanage that the church has connections with. It’s all very exciting and I know God is going to work in ways that I can’t even imagine! Please keep the youth, the team, and our time at the missions conference in your prayers!! And thank you all so much for your prayers and encouraging emails!! I love you all!

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Micah,

We are so proud of you and how you are letting God lead you in Paraguay! You are a wonderful example and encouragement to us and we pray for you daily. Talk to you soon!

Love,

Aaron, Allison, Hope, Emma, & Annie